by John Anderson |
Atlas Building Lobby
in 1919 and renovated in 1931 to the Art Deco standards of
the day, this office building was in desperate need of help
to compete in the competitive rental market - after a botched
makeover in the 1960s.
by Sherry Scott | The
original bronze atlas statue was lost, so we offered a resurrection
of sorts via an eight foot by eight foot marble mosaic of the
same. The 1/2" x 1/2" marble tiles were individually
hand placed into the floor. A leaded glass period light fixture
fools the eye; the actual light is halogen hiding in the barrel
vault ceiling and a soffit over the embossed metal wall panels.